One of the most significant advantages of BiteSoft is that it can be used to treat and protect several dentofacial issues so that only one type of appliance is necessary to cover a wide variety of bruxism related issues. Overall, BiteSoft reduces the intensity of bruxism by 70%, helping to significantly relieve symptoms. It can be used to prevent tooth damage, protect restorations, relieve jaw pain, and neck pain.
The appliance is fabricated with a hard polymer outer surface and a softer material on the inside. This dual-material approach provides protection, especially for porcelain restorations. Hard acrylic appliances can put stress on porcelain restorations, causing cracks, fractures, or crown loosening. The soft inner surface protects against this type of damage and helps patients protect their dental investment, and improves the integrity of the clinicians' dental work. The benefits of using a BiteSoft appliance are as follows:
- Prevents fractures, wear, and chipping of teeth
- Reduces clenching, headaches, grinding, and facial pain
- Protects dental restorations such as crowns and veneers from cracking or breaking
- Comfortable to wear, which helps with compliance.
- The bite forces are concentrated on the anterior, allowing for less muscle stress and allowing the face's muscles to relax.
- The design of BiteSoft keeps the airway open.
- Eliminates posterior clenching
- Helps TMD patients by stabilizing the dental occlusal
To fabricate an appliance, the clinician must take a Polyvinyl Siloxane (PVS) impression of both the mandibular and maxillary arches. (fig.2, shown above) This information is sent to the lab to fabricate the final appliance. Special bite registrations are not required.